SELECTED EXHIBITIONS & ACTIVITIES:
• Growlery Artist Residency: One month; Haight-Ashbury, San Francisco, California
• 17 Days Video Series (vol.9); curated by Adriane Little; Mahoney Hall – University of Massachusetts Lowell (Sept 6 – Oct 1)
• Convocatoria Internacional 2017: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; Espacio Enter Canarias; Canary Islands, Spain (August)
• PØST 2017 Fundraiser Auction; by invitation; Downtown, Los Angeles (online and June 24)
• Autonomous Agency: Newly formed team of creatives and thinkers initiated by Stepanian in collaboration with two other artists, highlighting the necessity of creative action against various expressions of bigotry and oppression. Their first online publication is expected to be completed by the beginning of next year (launched in May 2017)
• Dadaclub.online by invitation; The Exhibition: Spazio Contemporanea, Brescia, Italy; organized by Link Art Center (March 25 – April 15)
• Videoformes Festival 2017: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; France (March 18)
• Make America Create Again juried by Deborah Paine: CoCA – Center on Contemporary Art; Seattle, Washington (March 2 – 4)
• MADATAC 08; Centro Conde Duque, Madrid, Spain; see program catalog (Jan 12 -Feb 5)
• 17 Days Video Series (vol.9); curated by Adriane Little; Atrium Gallery – Western Michigan University (Nov 14, 2016 – May 1, 2017)
• Video Screening: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; Oi! in Hong Kong (Dec 18 – 31, 10am to 8pm)
• Recipient of Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grant for the performance listed below
• Performance for the opening of her solo exhibition listed below: #MemoryoftheUniverse observes and absorbs! (20 minutes); sound design by Philip Mantione; Galerie DEUX [dø]; Marseille, France (Nov 8, 7pm)
• Solo Video Exhibition; organized by Instants Vidéo Numériques et Poétiques: 29th Festival Les Instants Vidéo; Galerie DEUX [dø]; Marseille, France; (Nov 8 – Dec 3)
• Miami New Media Festival, 10th Anniversary; by Arts Connection Foundation; Black Box in Miami Theatre Center; Miami, Florida (Nov 26) – see program
• Video Screening: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; presented by Directors Lounge at the C.A.R. Video Lounge; Contemporary Art Ruhr (C.A.R.) art fair; Germany (Oct 28 – 30)
• Now&After’16: Ecology without Borders; video exhibition curated by Marina Fomenko; The State Darwin Museum; Moscow, Russia (Oct 22 – Nov 29); opening Oct 27th
• Miami New Media Festival, 10th Anniversary; by Arts Connection Foundation; Perez Art Museum (PAMM); Miami, Florida (Oct 22) – see poster – see program
• Video Exhibition: day 9 of the 17 Days Video Series (vol.9); curated by Adriane Little; The Bret Llewellyn Art Gallery – Alfred State College; Alfred, New York (Sept 26 – Oct 20)
• Video Screening: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; CONVERsalón V.14 @ Arcadia Coop; Toronto, Canada (Sept 8th)
• FASCISM exhibition: curated by Nayana Glazier; Gallery W @ the Whitney Center for the Arts; Pittsfield, MA, USA (September)
• Video Screening: OFF the WALL | video art screening series (Night 2); curated by Simone and Max, with support from the Arts + Literature Laboratory; Madison, Wisconsin (August 13)
• Video Screening: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; Top Schillerpalais, Berlin (Augutst 6)
• HearteartH; featuring Sunflowers Instead of Missiles GIF; a project by Sonia Laura Armaniaco & Maria Felix Korporal; Group Global 3000 project space; Berlin (July 8 – 10)
• Video Screening: ECVP Vol. 5 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project], Crisis + Utopia; curated by Kika Nicolela; Central Galeria, São Paulo, Brazil (June 30)
• Featured artist on ArtSlant: ‘Under the Radar’; curated by ArtSlant Senior Editors
• Video Installation (group): ECVP Vol. 3 [Exquisite Corpse Video Project]; curated by Kika Nicolela; Central Galeria, São Paulo, Brazil (March 30 – July 02)
• Online Exhibition of Animated GIF: #InstigateAgitateAnimate | DADA; by invitation for dadaclub.online, a project by Link Art Center; Italy (April 30)
• Exhibition catalog text: Art and the Anthropocene in the Middle East; “Education to Intervention: Artists and the Environment”; published by Persbook; Tehran, Iran
• Exhibition Juror (various media): Art and the Anthropocene in the Middle East, The 6th Annual of Contemporary Arts, Persbook; Tehran, Iran
• Video Installation: Cel·AV|Vídeo a Konvent; organized by the Contemporary Art Center of Central Catalonia; Konvent Puntzero (Sept 18-20)
• Exhibition catalog text: Nietzsche Was A Man: Nietzsche Oli Mies; English and Finnish; published by the Pori Art Museum; Finland; Feb 2015, p. 8-27, color, illus.
• Lecture & presentation: Nietzsche Was A Man; Pori Art Museum, Finland (Feb 4)
• Solo 2-Channel Video Installation: Nietzsche Was A Man; co-curated by Stepanian; Pori Art Museum; Finland (Feb 6 – May 24)
• Online Exhibition of Animated GIF: Hidden Art/ Dold Konst; featuring Tied Oppressions series; curated by Tamara De Laval; based in Sweden
• MI#24 videoart curation & screening of FREY: MusicPoetryMotion; for an art:screen exchange project curated by Jonas Nilsson & Eva Olsson; Gislaveds konsthall; GISLAVEDS, SWEDEN; August 30 – October 5, 2014
• Outdoor Installation with online work: Hidden Art/ Dold Konst; in collaboration with Philip Mantione as BOX 1035; along the Göta Canal, Sweden; curated by Tamara De Laval (June 29 – Sept 15)
• Lecture & presentation: Nietzsche Was A Man; Malmö Konsthall, Sweden (May 7)
• Video Installation (group): Nietzsche Was A Man; co-curated by Stepanian; Malmö Konsthall, C-salen; Sweden (April 10 – June 15)
• Juror for Persbook Art: The 4th Annual of Contemporary Arts (Dec 2013)
• The Imaginary App exhibition; featuring Be Happy NOW!; in collaboration with Philip Mantione; Museum | London; Ontario, Canada; curated by DJ Spooky and Svitlana Matviyenko (Sept 28 – Oct 20)
• Multi-media Research Grant: Culture & Animals Foundation (March)
• Video Installation: Edinburgh Iranian Festival 2013: Borders; curated by Haleh Jamali; Art’s Complex, St. Margaret’s House; Edinburgh, UK (Feb 6-16)
MANIPULATED IMAGE CURATIONS:
• Conceived, Co-curator and Produced: Nietzsche Was A Man, video art by 20 Iranian women, traveling exhibition presented at the Pori Art Museum, Finland (2015), Malmö Konsthall, Sweden (2014), Museo Ex-Teresa Arte Actual, Mexico City (2013), FONLAD Digital Art Festival, Coimbra, Portugal (2013)
• Video Installation: Nietzsche Was A Man; co-curated by Stepanian; Espaço Artes Multimédia e Performance; Coimbra, Portugal; Hosted by FONLAD Digital Art Festival (Sept 28)
• Lecture & presentation; Nietzsche Was A Man; Museo Ex Teresa Arte Actual, Mexico City (July 17, 18)
• Video Installation: Nietzsche Was A Man; co-curated by Alysse Stepanian; Museo Ex-Teresa Arte Actual, Mexico City (June 7- July 21)
• Exhibition catalog text; Nietzsche Was A Man: Muestra de Videoarte de Mujeres Iraníes; English and Spanish; published by Museo Ex-Teresa Arte Actual & Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes; Mexico City; June, color, illus.
• MI#23 videoart curation and screening of ImXCocteau: A LABOR DAY WEEKEND SPECIAL curated by Stepanian at Coagula Curatorial; Downtown Los Angeles (Sept 1)
• videoart curation and screening of Roghieh: Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow at Festival Miden; Kalamata’s Historic Center (Amfeias’ square); Kalamata, Greece (July 5)
• MI#22 videoart & performance curation and screening of Roghieh: Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow curated by Stepanian at Coagula Curatorial; Downtown Los Angeles (June 30)
• videoart curation: Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow at art:screen fest on tour; Vetlanda Museum; Sweden (March 9 – April 21)
• videoart curation and screening of Roghieh: Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow at 700IS Reindeerland event @ the Nordic House in Reykjavík, Iceland (Feb 8 – 9)
• 100×100=900: 100 VIDEOARTISTS TO TELL A CENTURY; a project by Magmart | video under volcano; international screenings and installations in 20 countries (invitational):
NUOVO CINEMA AQUILA, Rome (Italy); Moscow Museum of Modern Art (Russia); EAST ART GALLERY,Tehran (Iran); MEM, Bilbao (Spain); JAAGA, Bangalore (India); Espacio AVAart, Gijón (Spain); One Shot festival, Yerevan (Armenia); PALLADIUM, Rome (Italy); NATIONAL HISTORICAL and ARCHITECTURAL MUSEUM ‘KIEV FORTRESS’ (Ukraine); NEW BULGARIAN UNIVERSITY (Sofia); Philippine Women’s University (Philippines); TORRANCE ART MUSEUM, CA; TAKESH GALLERY, Isfahan (Iran); INSTITUT FÜR ALLES MÖGLICHE, Berlin (Germany); PLATEFORME, Paris (France); Galleria Fuorizona Arte Contemporanea, Macerata (Italy); HOLDUDVAR GALLERY, Budapest (Hungary); CENTRE3 FOR PRINT AND MEDIA ARTS, Hamilton, Ontario (Canada); REGIONAL MUSEUM OF HISTORY OF COLIMA (Mexico)
• Video PERSIArt by VIDEOARTIST.IR; Korean Nature Artists’ Association-YATOO; Gongju, Chugnam, South Korea (August 3- Sept 3)
• Riverside Art Museum: Experimental Sound for Visual Artists and Filmmakers; curated by Philip Mantione; California
• 700IS Reindeerland; curated by Kristín Scheving Nordic House; Reykjavík, Iceland
• now what; curated by Elle Burchill and Andrea Monti of Microscope Gallery at the Running Rebels Studios; Brooklyn, New York
• Book review for peer-reviewed Journal for Critical Animal Studies; Review of 2011 book by Ron Broglio. Surface Encounters: Thinking with Animals and Art; University of Minnesota Press; JCAS VOLUME 10, ISSUE 4, 2012; pg. 188-197; Dec 2012
• Juror for VIDEOARTIST.ir 1st festival of videoart; at Osan in Esfahan, Iran (Nov 8 – 12)
• In-person presentation of curated videoart in Sweden: Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow; art:screen Fest 2012; Bio Roxy; Örebro, Sweden (Oct 5)
• MI_LosAngeles2012 videoart, installations, performances and artist talks curated by Stepanian; “memory” and “identity” and Roghieh; ARENA 1 Gallery; Santa Monica, CA (April 29)
• Creator and curator of Urban Ranch Project on Facebook: URP is an “animal” advocacy and social and environmental activism arts venue (launched on March 24)
• Unpublished essay, March 2012 “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow”
• MI_LosAngeles2012 videoart curated by Stepanian: GUTTURAL!; Echo Park Film Center (EPFC), Los Angeles (Feb 25)
• MI_LosAngeles2012 videoart curated by Stepanian: A Curious Sense of Calm; Torrance Art Museum, Torrance, California (Jan 28)
• Intercept 5:7; Off The Strip New Genres Festival organized by the CAC; curated by David Sanchez Burr; Multiplexer; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (Aug 31-Oct 1); catalog
• Experimental video animation curation: Private Negations; co-curated by Stepanian and Morehshin Allahyari; Sazmanab; Tehran, Iran; Q&A with the curators via the internet (July 25)
• Identitet / Identity; art:screen archives; curated by Eva Olsson & Jonas Nilsson; Vetlanda Museum; Vetlanda, Sweden (May 5 – June 3); catalog
• AvantKino! See Eye See Eye; curated by Medium Steve (Eiliyas); Freies Museum; Berlin, Germany (Feb 29)
• Solo Video Installation (ImXCocteau and Frey): Art Institute of the Midland Empire; color catalog, illus. (Feb 23 – March 23)
• Solo Video Installation (ImXCocteau); curated by Adriane Little; Western Michigan University, Atrium Gallery; Michigan, USA (Jan 9 – Feb 1)
CologneOFF 2012 curated by Wilfried Agricola de Cologne:
• Ionian International Digital Film Festival; Mysterious Enganglements; Lefkas, Greece; PDF catalog
• Freedom of Memory: A Virtual Memorial Phnom Penh 2012; META-House Phnom Penh, German-Cambodian Cultural Centre; Cambodia (July 14)
• CologneOFF 2012 Philippines; Generation Loss Festival; Green Papaya Art Projects; Quezon City, Manila, Philippines (March16)
• 6th Bangkok Experimental Film Festival; Goethe Institute, Bangkok, Thailand (Feb 1)
Time is Love.5; curated by Kisito Assangni:
• [show 10]: TIWANI CONTEMPORARY; London, UK (June 19)
• [show 9]: CITY ART GALLERY; Kharkov, Ukraine (April 25)
• [show 8]: KULTER; Amsterdam, Netherlands (April 9)
• [show 7]: ZET Foundation; Amsterdam, Netherlands (April 1)
• [show 6]: Galerie Octobre; Paris, France (March 24)
• [show 5]: The Cornaro Institute; Larnaca, Cyprus (March 8)
• [show 4]: Rich Mix Cultural Foundation; London, UK (Feb 18)
• [show 3]; Expressive Arts Institute; San Diego, California (Feb 3)
• [show 2]; SAVVY Contemporary; Berlin, Germany (Jan 14)
• [show 1]; [.Box] Videoart Project Space; Milan, Italy (Jan 10-30)
Exquisite Corpse Video Project – Vol. 3; curated by Kika Nicolela:
• Ängelholm International Video Art Festival, 60sm drive-in screen, Sweden (#9: April 27, 2012)
• Art Center, Taipei, Taiwan (#8: Feb 24, 2012)
• DATABAZ, Angoulême, France (#7: October 15, 2011)
• Braziliality’s 3rd Anniversary Festival, Forman’s Smokehouse Gallery & Hackney Wicked Art Festival; London, UK (#6: July 29 – 30, 2011)
• Gallery West, Toronto, Canada (#5: July 28, 2011)
• Watertowerfest, Central Mineral Bath, Sophia, Bulgaria (#4: June 27, 2011)
• Objectifs – Centre for Photography and Filmmaking, Singapore (#3: June 27, 2011)
• Ateliê397, São Paulo, Brazil (#2: May 24)
• Museum of Modern Art Videoart Cycle, Buenos Aires, Argentina (#1: April 14, 2011)
• Visiting artist lecture & critique, California State University at Long Beach
• One night Kamikaze show curated by Stepanian: what I don’t see can’t hurt me: the aesthetics of resistance; PØST; downtown Los Angeles (July 7); PDF catalog
Curated Close To My Heart: video art curation (MI#14):
By invitation for CologneOFF 2011 (& 2012) touring exhibitions:
• Digital Marrakech (Morocco) December 6-8, 2012
• CeC – Carnival of e_Creativity (Sattal, India) February 24-26, 2012
• Shams – The Sunflower (Beirut, Lebanon) September 2, 2011
• Arteles & Galleria Rajatila (Tampere, Finland) May 28, 2011
• OFFizyna Szczecin & Szczecin 2016 Culture’s Observatory (Szczecin, Poland) May 14, 2011
• Arad Art Museum (Romania) April 2, 2011
• CologneOFF 2011 VideoChannel (online)
CologneOFF 2011 curated by Wilfried Agricola de Cologne:
• The Female Eye: Women Directors Cut; Estonian Academy of Arts; Tallinn (June 2); PDF catalog (pg 46)• • Galleria Rajatilla; Tampere, Finland (May 28); PDF catalog (pg 43)
• ARTchSO Videofestival: Asia Focus I – Near West/Near East; Le Vivarium Cultural Center; Rennes, France (March 26)
• Asia: Near West/Near East; Arad Art Museum, Romania; PDF catalog, pg. 6 (April 1)
• Ex-Teresa Arte Actual; Mexico City (Nov 11); PDF catalog, pg. 6
• NOASS and Waterpieces Contemporary and Video Art Festival; Riga, Latvia (Sept 8)
Organized & curated by Women’s Voices Now:
• The Warrior & The Slave ; Jordan University of Science & Technology, Irbid (Oct. 13)
• The Warrior & The Slave; outdoor screening; Royal Film Commission; Amman (Oct. 19)
• The Warrior & The Slave; Royal Film Commission; Women’s Center, Madaba (Oct. 20)
• screening and panel discussion: ProjectFresh presents Crossroads: The Intersection of Cultural and Religious Norms; with Maha Awad and Victoria Fine, moderated by Suzie Abdou; Downtown Independent Theater; Los Angeles, CA (July 13)
• Screening: Crossroads: The Intersection of Cultural and Religious Norms; The Paley Center For Media; New York City (May 14)
• screening and roundtable discussion – Crossroads: The Intersection of Cultural and Religious Norms; with Hasan Mahmud, Susana Casares, Ola Deyab, and Miriam Wakim; by Women’s Voices Now; L.A. Film School; Hollywood, CA; (March 18)
• 4th Annual Iranian Film Festival; San Francisco Art Institute, CA (Sept 11)
• Solo Video Installation: LOL: A Decade of Antic Art; curated by Sue Spaid; Contemporary Museum, Baltimore, Maryland (June 10 – Sept 4); Catalog, pp. 7-8, color, illus
• Further Tales from Everywhere; curated by Michael Cousin of OUTcasting; Photon Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia (May 24)
• A Century of Artists’ Film; curated by Michael Cousin of OUTcasting; Oriel Mwldan, Cardigan, UK (May 21 – July 2)
• Die Schüssel leuchtet; selections from 3 years of Kunstfilmtag programming; at the artist-club WP8; Düsseldorf, Germany (May 21)
• ArtpadSF Video Art Show: “No Dialogue”; 50’x50’ projections onto the Mayfair Hotel; curators Dorka Keehn & Jasmine Moorhead; ArtpadSF, San Francisco (May 20 – 21)
• ANOTHER EXPERIMENT by WOMEN presented by EYE:AM; Anthology Film Archives; curated by Lili White; New York City; (PROGRAM 1- January 12)
• Göteborg International Film Festival; art:screen archives; curated by Jonas Nilsson & Eva Olsson; Sweden (Jan 28 – Feb. 7)
• VAFA 2010 – Video Art For All organized by Art For All Society and Orient Foundation Casa Garden Gallery; NU DADA: The First International Open Call Festival for Video Art in Macau (Nov 16 & 25, Dec 1)
• The Web Fake Festival – MISTAKE, FALSITY and MISUNDERSTANDING; The WEB ART CENTER, in partnership with Fonlad Festival and UAVM Virtual Museum & GALLERY; (Nov/ Dec)
• Vasteras Konstmuseum; curated from the art:screen archives (Art Video Screening) by Jonas Nilsson & Eva Olsson; Sweden (Nov 20)
• Women’s Voices from the Muslim World: Online Short-Film Festival (Oct – Jan ’11)
• DA Fest 2010; National Academy of Art; Sofia, Bulgaria (Sept 13 – 17)
• A MiniVideoArt Festival; curated by YEAH; Eyedrum Art and Music Gallery; Atlanta, Georgia (Aug 20)
• Gaza International Festival for Video Art: Gaza – Jerusalem – Ramallah – Rafah – Jabalia – Bethlehem; 2 curations by Wilfried Agricola de Cologne, and the Gaza festival jurors; two screenings: June 19 and June 23rd; color catalog, illus.
• One Shot /8th International Short film Festival; selections of CologneOFF V; Armenian Center for Contemporary Experimental Art; Yerevan, Armenia (May 18)
• Art Video Screenings; part of Örebro International Videoart Festival; PROGRAMME III; curated by Jonas Nilsson & Eva Olsson; Sweden (Oct1-3)
• Fonlad 2010 Festival: Festival on line de Artes Digitais – Edição # 6; VIRTUAL HUMANITIES; curated by Jose Vieira; Coimbra, Portugal (June 19)
• “Absence||Presence””Ausência||Presença”; curated by Kika Nicolela and Stepanian (Manipulated Image #13); Center For Contemporary Arts, Cinematheque; Santa Fe, New Mexico (May 16)
• XIII Festival Internacional de Música Electroacústica “Primavera en La Habana showing “FREY”; Teatro Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Arte Cubano; Havana, Cuba (March 16)
• SHE_STORY curated by Natasha Kadin; New Media Gallery; “Zadar, Croatia; PDF catalog
• Season 12 of Outcasting; curated by Michael Cousin; online, based in Cardiff, UK (April 1 – May 31)
• CeC 2010, The 5th annual Carnival of e-Creativity; featuring Roghieh; CologneOFF V – Taboo! Taboo? in the sylvan spaces of Sattal Estate, the Himalayan Indian state of Uttarakhand (Feb. 19-21)
VIDEO ART CURATION:
• Manipulated Image #12: “memory″ and “identity” curated by invitation for VideoChannel Cologne touring exhibitions:
Feature of the month on VideoChannel Cologne: NewMediaFest’2010 – April 2010
CeC – Carnival of e-Creativity in India – February 19-21, 2011
Delhi International Arts Festival – December 11-12, 2010
VideoChannel – US Video Art on VAD – June 14 – 30, 2010
• Manipulated Image #11 videoart, music and performances: For Action’s Sake – First Year Anniversary Celebration; SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (March 12)
• HZ – Journal: net gallery; showing Buffalo Weekly Videos; curated by Sachiko Hayashi (Dec – )
• Manipulated Image #9 video art curation & presentation: GUTTURAL!; SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (Dec 18)
• Manipulated Image #8 video art curation & presentation: The Moving Still; SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (Oct 30)
• Digital fringe online art festival based in Australia, featuring Fish-Eyed Daisy, A Self-Portrait in A Perfect World #1 and #2 (Sept 23 – Oct 11)
• Manipulated Image #7 video art curation, discussion & presentation: Work from Four Continents and Virtual Second Life; SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (Aug 28)
• Manipulated Image #6 video art curation & presentation: The Whole Truth, the Space in Between, and Chopping Heads…; SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (July 24)
• Manipulated Image #5 video art & music performance curation & presentation: SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (June 26)
• Manipulated Image #4 live cinema performance curation: SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (May 29)
• Manipulated Image #3 presentations: SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (April 24)
• Manipulated Image #2 video art curation & presentations: SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (March 27)
• Manipulated Image #1 video art presentations: SFX, Santa Fe, New Mexico (Feb 27)
• Founder/Curator/Producer: Manipulated Image video art and multimedia events; over 12 local and international partners, nearly 30 international venues (launched in Feb)
• Kunstfilmtag 09; “With a view to the sound”; Düsseldorf; Malkasten; Germany; PDF catalog
• Harold Golen Gallery; curatedby Juraj Kojs; 12 nights electronic music and art; Miami, Florida
• Solo Installation: Endurance: Daring Feats of Risk, Survival and Perseverance; curated by Sue Spaid; Abington Art Center; Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; catalog, essay (Sept 10 – Nov 29)
• YOVEO International Video Festival; The Suffolk Space at the CSV Cultural Center; New York City (July 31- Aug 2)
• Solo Installation: FrankenCircuit, organized by Philip Mantione; SFX, Santa Fe, NM (June 13)
• 45 minute video for T = 2.7K – New music by Philip Mantione and improvisations by trumpeter Ron Helman, computer interactive performance and electro-acoustical-mechanical-maniacal madness; Oscillate/Osculate Concert Series; Center for Contemporary Arts (CCA); Santa Fe, New Mexico (Oct 25)
2006 – 2007
• 6 months artist residency and BOX 1035 installation; Glitter, glamour and glory: HUNDE VERBOTEN: created during a 6 month residency in collaboration with Philip Mantione as BOX 1035, at Kunsthaus Tacheles, Berlin, Germany (Werkschau Internationales Kunsthaus Tacheles) (residency: Oct 3, 2006 – April 11, 2007) (exhibition: Jan 26 – March 11, 2007)
Project site: http://www.box1035.com/hundeVerboten.html
• 3 months artist residency and BOX 1035 installation; Imagine Gallery; “Don’t be afraid, be ready”: created during a 3 month residency in collaboration with Philip Mantione as BOX 1035, at Imagine Gallery; Beijing, China (residency: March 31 – June 30) (exhibition: June 4 – 28); Project site: http://www.box1035.com/beready.html
• Fierce: installation with video and sound; in collaboration with Philip Mantione as BOX 1035; Imagine Gallery; Beijing, China
• 2.5 months residency in Barcelona and BOX 1035 installation; “…until you slip”: created in Barcelona and Beijing, in collaboration with Philip Mantione as BOX 1035, by invitation for Site Specifics ’06; curated by Karen Shaw; Islip Art Museum; East Islip, New York (residency: Jan 17 – March 30) (exhibition: June 10 – July 30); Project site: http://www.box1035.com/UntilYouSlip.html
• e-postcards photojournal; part of “…until you slip”; Islip Art Museum; New York (see above) (Nov 23, 2005 – April 14, 2007)
• Special Opportunity Stipend, given through NEW YORK FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS and NEW YORK STATE COUNCIL ON THE ARTS
• BOX 1035 Installation: Utility of Obsession: All Things Orange; in collaboration with Philip Mantione; curated by Margaret Roleke; Branchville Gallery; Ridgefield, Connecticut (Aug 26 – Oct 7)
• BOX 1035 Installation: Drainage; in collaboration with Philip Mantione; Collaborative Concepts; Beacon, New York (May 8 – Sept 6)
• Spencer Street Collage-athon; Annie Varnot’s studio; Brooklyn, NY
• Videoart distribution by Rencontres internationales Paris/Berlin
• Solo Video Installation and Screenig: DIGIT; Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, Tusten Theatre; New York
• Special Opportunity Stipend, given through NEW YORK FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS and NEW YORK STATE COUNCIL ON THE ARTS
• Rencontres internationales Paris/Berlin 2003 – www.art-action.org: cinéma l’Arlequin, Paris (Feb. 20 ); Podewil, Berlin (Nov 16)
• Divine Women Divine Work festival; The Painted Bride Art Center; Philadelphia, PA (Oct.18)
• art@radio web broadcast; soundtrack from the video: the way of water/alysse 9.1 in collaboration with Philip Mantione; curated by Steve Bradley; on the River Hull, England
• Multimedia performance for live television: liveReal in collaboration with Philip Mantione and Lisa Carpenter; directed by Stepanian; live Broadcast on Manhattan Neighborhood Network & dctvny.org; produced for live TV by DCTV, New York City (Sept. 24)
• Video Installation: One Night Stand curated by Tamara Fites and Michael Lewis Miller; video screenings in a pickup truck at a parking lot; The Farmer’s Daughter Motel, Los Angeles, CA.
• Video Installation: The Parking Lot Art Happening; Avis Roto Die open-air parking lot; video screenings in a rental car; Los Angeles, CA.
• Video Screening: SEAMUS (Society of Electro-Acoustic Music) 2001 National Conference; Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge
• DCTV Cyberstudio For the Arts Technical Director for live cultural shows broadcast on the Manhattan Neighborhood Network; New York City (2000 – 2002)
• VOID, New York City (Dec 14)
• Leeds International Film Festival: KINO EAR; curated by Mark Webber; West Yorkshire; UK (Oct 17)
• Mississippi State University in Starkville; The Bettersworth Auditorium; The Giles School of Architecture; MSU Campus
• The Field web broadcast in Oct/Nov; wigged.net (Woodland Interactive Group, Inc. ; interview by Seth Thompson
• Fig Gallery; curated by Tom Krumpak; Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
• Shy Anne Sound and Video Festival; curated by Dan Senn; Tacoma, Washington
• Most Significant Bytes 2000; Guzetta Recital Hall (University of Akron); also delivered via an Internet Concert Gallery for 12 months; curated by Jerome Miskell; Akron, Ohio
• Most Significant Bytes 2000; Presser Recital Hall (Mount Union College); curated by Jerome Miskell; Akron, Ohio
• Used and Amused curated by Sue Spaid; Jan Baum Gallery; Los Angeles (Jan 15 – Feb. 26)
• site-specific collaborative installation and performance: auditionherefreebeer; with Philip Mantione, in Cremolata Flotage, a show organized by Sue Spaid aboard the Andrew J. Barberi Staten Island Ferry; New York City
• Video Screening: Sonic Circuits Circus International Festival of Electronic Music and Art by American Composers Forum; Landmark Center; St. Paul, Minnesota
• Video Installation: Great Atrophy, HAY-ART Cultural Center, curated by Ruben Arveshatian; broadcast report on local AR tv channel in the frames of Great Atrophy project; Yerevan, Armenia
• Invitational video presentation and discussion (72 Hours: Acrobat’s Little Leap); organized by American Composers’ Forum; New York University, New York City
• Video Screening in a Film Marathon; curated by Randi Cecchine; Art In General; New York City
• Video with live music: cutting video for Ten or So: music by Philip Mantione and Douglas Geers, shakuhachi by Steve Cohn; Columbia University; New York City
• Videos and multimedia performances at OnetoMANYthree event by MANY; co-curated and co-produced by Stepanian; Dixon Place, New York City (June 15, 16):
— scourge.org, a collaborative performance with Sue Spaid, music by Philip Mantione
— cutting video for a collaboration with composers Philip Mantione and Douglas Geers, shakuhachi by Steve Cohn
— snippet multimedia performance with Philip Mantione, Larry Weeks
• video screenings with live music; TwoMANYtwo; co-curated by Stepanian of MANY; DCTV; New York City:
— Steps collaborative video with Philip Mantione, with music for alto sax and tape (performed by Styliani Tartsinis)
— Fierce video and slides, with music by Philip Mantione
• video, slides, music installation: Fierce at the Yerevan Biennial Exhibition of Avant Garde Art; in collaboration with Philip Mantione; The Armenian Center for Contemporary Experimental Art; Yerevan, Armenia; catalog, illus.
• slides, music: 50/50: slides by Stepanian, music by Philip Mantione; non sequitur festival; organized by Composers Collaborative; Here; New York City
• Performances with live music and video projections: OneMANY event, co-curated and co-produced by Stepanian; the Greenwich House, Hayden Auditorium; New York City:
— Out of Line: multimedia performance with video, costumes, live and recorded music by Philip Mantione, improvisations on shakuhachi by Steve Cohn
— Music for Typist: performed this interactive music on a computer keyboard; music, direction and projections by Philip Mantione, set design by Stepanian
• Painting exhibition: L.A. New Art; curated by John de Heras; University of Madrid Fine Arts Gallery; color catalog, illus.; Madrid, Spain
• Co-founded MANY (Musicians & Artists in New York): Co-founder/Co-Curator/Co-Producer; artist-run nonprofit multimedia arts organization based in New York City
• Photography exhibition: Body/Skin; The Armenian Center for Contemporary Experimental Art; Yerevan, Armenia
• Performance: Destroying the Hatchery; Factory Place; Los Angeles, CA.
• Painting exhibition: L.A. New Art; University Castilla-La Mancha; curated by John de Heras; Cuenca, Spain
• Multimedia installation and self-curated exhibition: The Hatchery; Factory Place Studio; downtown, Los Angeles, CA.
PAINTING GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
• Long Beach 96 Faculty Biennial; CSULB Art Museum; CA.
• littlebigart; Mendenhall Gallery; Whittier College, CA.
• All-Parts; CSULB Gallery B; Long Beach, CA.
• Downtown Lives ‘96; organized by DADA; Los Angeles, CA.
• Faculty Exhibition; Golden West College; Huntington Beach, CA.
• Group show at PØST; Downtown, Los Angeles, CA.
• Facing the Dragon; Artopia; Hollywood, CA.
• Women In The Arts discussion as part of Take 2: Second city-wide biennial LAX; The Los Angeles Exhibition 1994, Fisher Gallery at USC; Los Angeles, CA
PAINTING GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
• 1/2 Half ; CSULB Gallery B; Long Beach, CA.
• Large Canvas Show; Westside Art Forum; Los Angeles, CA.
• Huge Group Show; Fine Art At Factory Place Gallery
• Windows; Artopia; Hollywood, CA.
• 2-person painting exhibition: Fine Art At Factory Place Gallery; Downtown Los Angeles
• Coordinator of Exhibitions and Member at Factory Place Co-op Gallery; Downtown, L.A., CA. (1994 – 96)
PAINTING GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
• Take 2: Second city-wide biennial LAX; The Los Angeles Exhibition 1994; Curator: Max F. Schulz; California Afro-American Museum; Los Angeles, CA.
• L.A. Fair Art; Spanish Kitchen Gallery; Los Angeles, CA.
• Return of the Day of the Dead; South Bay Contemporary Museum Of Art II Long Beach, CA.
• Downtown Lives ‘94; Organized by DADA; Los Angeles, CA.
• The People’s Choice; The Art Store Gallery; From the first annual Downtown Lives Show by DADA
• Dada Monica; The Sam Francis Gallery; Santa Monica, CA.
• Closing The Chapter; Sherry Frumkin Gallery; Santa Monica, CA.
• Huge Group Show; Fine Art At Factory Place Gallery; L.A., CA.
• Diversity; Curator: Scott Canty; Korean Cultural Center; L.A., CA.
• Who Do You Think You Are?; Highways; Santa Monica, CA.
• Solo painting exhibition: A Matter Of Perception; Sherry Frumkin Gallery; Santa Monica, CA.
PAINTING GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
• Downtown Lives; organized by DADA; Los Angeles, CA.
• Intimate Spaces; Juror: Howard N. Fox (curator of contemporary art at LACMA); Gallery 57; Fullerton, CA.
• Works Of Peace: 111 Artists; Galerie Bhak; Seoul, Korea; color catalog, illus.
• 1993 Los Angeles Juried Exhibitions; Juror: Henry Hopkins; Municipal Art Gallery; Hollywood, CA.
• Gallery representation (1992-95): Sherry Frumkin Gallery, Santa Monica, CA; solo exhibition (see 1993)
• A Woman’s Voice; Biola University; La Mirada, CA.